Thursday, March 28, 2013

Passover Prizes

During the Passover Seder, it is a tradition to break a matzah in two and hide part of it for the children to find.  This matzah called the "Afikomen".  It is wrapped in a linen cloth and hidden by the leader of the seder, usually the father.  For believers in Yeshua the Messiah, the Afikomen is a symbol of Yeshua, His death and His resurrection.  At the appropriate time in the seder, the children look for it, and the one who finds it is rewarded with a "ransom" paid by the leader.  
At our family seder, since we just have two daughters, I like to tell them to search for the Afikomen together, so they both get a prize.  I usually put together a gift bag for each of them for my husband to give them in exchange for the Afikomen.  This year in their gift bags they each got a little lamb that I made out of vintage sheets from a vintage pattern. 
Aren't they cute?  This is the pattern I used:
Adorable, right?  I didn't put the silly hair on the lambs, though.  I thought they were cuter without it.
Also in their gift bags was a beautiful bookmark for each of them from an Etsy shop called Light of Zion Handcrafted Jewelry. This one is called "Torah on Your Heart":
Torah on Your Heart Bookmark
And this one is "One in Messiah":
One in Messiah Bookmark
They are so pretty, like jewelry for your book or Bible, and they are so special and meaningful!  My girls love them!  They came with a little card with a scripture attached, and a sweet handwritten note from Elisheva, the artist who created them. Elisheva also has an Etsy shop called Messianic Cards, featuring her works of art on gorgeous cards.  I haven't ordered any yet, because I simply can't choose! Here are a couple of nice ones for Passover:
Messiah Our Passover Cards
Celebrate the Feast Cards
I hope you are all having a happy and blessed Passover week!


3 comments:

  1. What sweet lambs -- I love that you used vintage sheets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun that you still do the afikoman with your daughters. Such cutie lambs with the vintage sheets, and lovely bookmarks. I love those cards on Etsy too and plan on ordering some -- beautiful artwork indeed!!!! Vintage fabric must be in high demand around our parts; I never see any in the antique stores. Such a memorable treasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we do have fun with it! I'm glad the girls still enjoy it :)
      I don't find vintage fabric here often, either, but I always keep my eyes open and whenever I see it I try to snatch it up right away because I know I will use it for something!

      Delete