Friday, July 24, 2015

Bible Journaling: The Beginning



A couple of weeks ago I discovered something called "Bible journaling".  I saw a post on Facebook (or maybe it was Pinterest) of someone's beautiful art and lettering of a Bible verse, and I was both shocked and amazed when I realized that it was done IN THEIR BIBLE!  I wasn't sure what to think about this because I am a person who can't even bring myself to write or highlight in my Bible. It's the Word of God, after all!  At the same time, though, I was very intrigued by this beautiful form of art.  So, I searched online and found more gorgeous examples, and I saw what people were saying about Bible journaling; that it can be a type of worship, and can be a meaningful addition to your Bible study time.  Then I found out there are special Bibles that are made with wide margins with plenty of extra space for notes, lettering and art.  And, while I definitely don't consider myself an artist, I love to do creative lettering and take notes, and I knew this was for me.  My birthday was coming up, and my husband asked me what I wanted.  I told him, "THIS. A journaling Bible. This is what I want."  And I got it. And I love it. Here's a picture of it:
 

Yesterday I did my first page.  I couldn't decide where to start until my daughter, Rebecca, said, "Just start at the beginning."  So, after launching into a musical number in my best Julie Andrews voice (Let's start at the very beginning, a very good place to start...), I decided that yes, the beginning would be the best place to start.  Genesis 1:1.

First, I read the page I would be "journaling" on. Then I planned in my head what I wanted to do.  I realized that the word "created" has seven letters, so I decided to do something with each letter for each day of creation.  I also wanted to make sure that I included the words "and God saw that it was good".  I came up with an idea for a design and I practiced it in a separate journal because I didn't want to mess up my new Bible the very first time I tried to draw in it.  


That gave me enough confidence to start in my Bible, first in pencil, of course, and then in pen and colored pencils.  I thought about trying water colors, but chickened out.  Maybe next time.  As I drew and colored, I thought about "In the beginning".  Then I stopped thinking about it because, really, it kind of blows my mind.  Then I thought about Hollisa Alewine's teaching called "The Creation Gospel".  Dr. Alewine is a very insightful, knowledgeable, and down-to-earth teacher.  I have had the pleasure of sitting in a few of her classes, where I was furiously scribbling down notes literally the entire length of those classes.  We purchased some of her workbooks, and so far I have only made it through the first lesson (several times) because, again, mind blown.  She shows, in a very unique way, how the whole Bible is connected; how Genesis and the days of creation correspond with Revelation, which corresponds to the Biblical feasts, which all point to Yeshua (Jesus).  It is really all rather amazing, and it's what I thought about as I drew, doodled and colored in my Bible, and I understood what others have been saying.  This is a form of worship.  As I draw letters and pictures in my Bible, I am able to meditate on those words.  I can commit them to memory (hide them in my heart) more easily.  And every time I look back at the pages I've done I am reminded of the words and their meaning, and I am reminded of the God who originated those words.

Yes, this is definitely for me.  I plan to draw in my Bible often.


 

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful page Donna! I too have been looking into Bible Journaling, but haven't done any major artwork yet. My Bible doesn't have wide magins and I like it so much, that I'm not willing to get another, but try to squeeze whatever I can in it's narrow margins. I love your "Created" page -- I may have to do something like it if I have room. I was watching just last night a few YouTubes on it last night -- some are good, some not so pretty and wondered why they thought they had to share, teehe. Enjoy! I look forward to seeing more pretty pages from you in the future ♥ Oh, and now you have my curiosity Dr. A. I'll have to look her up.

    ReplyDelete