Sunday, July 10, 2011

Denim Skirt Re-Do for the Summer of No Pants

About a week ago I finally finished my last project for the Summer of No Pants, even though the challenge was to make four new things to wear before the summer actually started.  A camping trip and miscellaneous other things got in the way of finishing the sewing part of the challenge on time, but I have been successful doing the wearing part of it.  Since we returned from our camping trip, I've worn a skirt or a dress every day!

So, for this last project I decided to give a denim skirt a makeover. I bought this skirt for 85 cents at a thrift shop. I bought it with the intent to use the fabric for making tote bags, but I wanted a new denim skirt and I thought it had possibility. Here's the result:

Before, it was way too big, and WAY too long.  This thing reached my ankles, and I am 5'9"! 

Now it falls just above the knee.  I love the unfinished edges, the pockets, and the flower detail.


I also modified my t-shirt dress a little bit.  The neckline was choking me, and just didn't look right, so I made it into a scoop neck and added matching trim to the neckline and sleeves.  I made my own bias tape for the first time.  Making bias tape was so easy, I'm not sure why I haven't done it before! 

I think it's even cuter now!

6 comments:

  1. These projects both turned out super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Donna!
    I love how you re-fashioned the denim skirt!
    The frayed pockets and flower detail are a cute touch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! both of these are really nice....great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are both adorable! I love the detail at the waist on the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the sweet comments, ladies!

    ReplyDelete