Wednesday, July 20, 2011

42 Years - The Moon Landing and Me

Today is the 42nd anniversary of the first landing on the moon by Apollo 11.  I know this fact well, because yesterday was my 42nd birthday.  I was born on July 19, 1969, the day Apollo 11 went into orbit around the moon.  The next day it landed, and Neil Armstrong took the first steps on the moon.  My mom watched it happening from a hospital television back on planet Earth in Seattle, Washington.

Here are some other things that were going on at the time:  Richard Nixon was president of the United States, gas was $0.35 a gallon, a U.S. first class stamp was $0.06, and minimum wage was $1.60 per hour.  Silly String, Barrel of Monkeys, the Nerf Ball, and Weebles were all new toys that were introduced that year.  John Wayne received the Academy Award for best actor in True Grit.  Some top songs of that year were Crimson and Clover, Sugar Sugar, and I Heard it Through the Grapevine. The video cassette was invented. 

Wow, 42 years ago seems like ancient history!   Here's a video of the first moon landing.  A little bit of what my mom would have watched on the hospital TV.



Fast forward to yesterday, and here is a photo of a beautiful necklace and earrings my husband gave me for my birthday.  He bought them in a little shop called "Vintage Lady" in Harpers Ferry, WV, when we were there a couple of weeks ago.  I love them!

2 comments:

  1. Hope you had a wonderful birthday. So many important things happened on the day you were born. That's really neat. That is a fabulous earring and necklace set your husband found for you. I'm sure you'll feel very special wearing them. I can just imagine the thought that went into picking them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Trudy. I did have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete