Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Goodbye Summer, Hello Pants

Well, with summer officially coming to an end, the Summer of No Pants is over!  I actually cheated a little, though, and declared it to be over after Labor Day weekend.  Here are my thoughts on the Summer of No Pants:

It was fun!  I loved picking out a skirt or a dress to wear every day.  And I liked the fact that most of the time I could either wear just flip-flops, or dress up the outfit a little with a pair of really cute shoes.

I found that, in the heat and humidity of a Delaware summer, skirts are WAY more comfortable than shorts!  Much, much cooler.

I learned that I like skirts more than dresses.  I can mix and match my favorite tops and skirts, and I just find skirts to be more comfortable.  Dresses are great for once in a while, but skirts work better for every day.

I now don't feel strange about wearing a skirt when I'm just going to be at home for most of the day.  Just call me June Cleaver, cooking and cleaning in a dress and pearls!

The transition back to pants was a weird one. First of all, I felt a little guilty, like I shouldn't be wearing pants (haha!). Then, I put on my jeans and they felt too tight (and I didn't gain any weight). They fit me fine, I guess, but yikes! How was I wearing them so tight?? I tried on a whole bunch of tops, and nothing looked right with my tight jeans. So, I bought some bigger jeans!  Much better, but still when I wear pants I don't feel quite as feminine, so I have to make sure I am wearing something pretty, too.

I also learned that I can make my own clothes to fit me, especially with the help of my fabulous dress form!  I think I will be making a lot more clothes for myself in the future, rather than buying things that just don't quite fit right.  I'm even going to try making my own patterns sometime soon.

I will definitely still be wearing skirts often.  I can't wait for the weather to get cooler so I can wear skirts with tights and boots. 

The Summer of No Pants was a great experience, and I'm glad I did it.   

5 comments:

  1. Wow, a Summer of no pants...I should try that some time too:):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a cool idea! I definitely want to try that! Or even a month with no pants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a fun idea! I might try that next summer. I basically did this while I was pregnant... I declared a war on pants and those darned tight waists!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting idea! Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shalom Donna,
    This is such a great idea! I still struggle with wearing a dress or skirt on a regular basis. I was sort of a tom boy growing up. Now with the chores I do in the garden I just don't find them practical.

    With all that said, I do wear dresses on Shabbat, being that it is a set apart day unlike any other day. I hope to get more comfortable in them :)
    Shalom,
    Moira

    ReplyDelete